Sunday, March 10, 2013

Ironically, A Chocolate Cake Recipe

Hello, world!

I'm still trucking along on the reduced-carb journey. So far I'm down 8 pounds! Things are going well, and I'm almost to the point where this diet is automatic. Though I originally planned to cut down my carbs by half, and then cut them down again, I've stayed at cutting them in half because the results have been so quick and it's been pretty easy. I don't really see the need to go further; this is a lifestyle I can embrace! Right now I'm on target to reach my goal weight by graduation! That's right, when I walk across the stage I'll be pretending that I'm walking down the catwalk to "I'm Too Sexy" and strutting appropriately.

That being said, living on 100 grams of carbs a day can be challenging when you find an amazing recipe for chocolate cake and you want to eat the whole thing in one sitting. But what is life without challenge?

I made this cake for Eric for our Valentine's Day celebration and we both LOVED it. It was so moist that frosting it would have been completely over the top (no pun intended!)-- this cake was amazing without the extra sugar rush. Instead we served it with strawberries and whipped cream: Heaven!


To make this cake you'll need:
2 cups white sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray your pan with cooking spray or use butter. You can use any size/shape pan you want. I used a bundt pan to make the cake look fancy with absolutely no work whatsoever. I like to stay true to who I am.

2. In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla, and mix for 2 minutes with a mixer or a large whisk. Stir in the boiling water last. The batter will be thin. Pour evenly into your cake pan(s).

3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.



If you love the tingly burn of way too much sugar, throw some frosting on that sucker! If not, you can serve your cake like we did with a little fruit to help drown out your conscious as it scolds you for eating such an amazing treat. 

Whichever way you choose to go, I think you'll be pretty happy. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment