Monday, June 27, 2011

I Like to Move It, Move It--- Wait, No I Don't

Come August I will be migrating north, to Chicago for grad school. This is all very exciting as I have recently procured an apartment, I've enrolled in classes, and I have figured out that a trip to Target on the red line is only 10 minutes long. People, it's Target. I needed to know.

However, did you know that moving is a pain in the you-know-what? If you didn't know, now you do: moving is a PAIN. It requires boxes-- so many boxes. And tape, and newspapers and skillful wrapping. It requires cleaning out old closets and donating craploads to Goodwill. It requires finding a place, finding mover, and apparently finding a million dollars to pay for both. It requires saying goodbyes and see-you-laters to many people that I'd rather not say those things to.

Moving is a hectic, highly emotional process.

The worst part is probably not the money or the hassle, but knowing how I'm going to feel when those goodbyes come. Or at least, what I think I'm going to feel. Sort of hollow, scared, full of anxiety.

But I'm also going to feel hopeful. In all the tears, I know I'm going to see all the love that exists between me and my loved ones, and know that with that much love, distance can suck it.

That's right. In the middle of all that lovely sentiment, I found a way to include "suck it".

1 comment: