Thursday, March 15, 2012

How I Lost 13 Pounds In A Year-- Day 4

Today's Change: Channeling Martha Stewart-- Cooking at Home
Once I stopped eating pizza and gave up many fast food meals, I realized that I needed to replace those processed meals with homemade ones. So I started looking for simple recipes online, in magazines, and in cookbooks. I even started trying out the recipes on the sides of soup cans-- I was open to anything that was delicious. My grocery list regularly consisted of ingredients from the Campbell's soup line, French's items, and meal stretchers such as Hamburger Helper. Now, I realize that it's not a glamorous list, but as this was my first time to really start cooking regularly I started small. Eventually my menus grew to include fish, lamb chops, roasted pork, and homemade baked breakfast items. Now, a year later, a regular dinner might be homemade chicken pot pie, or roasted salmon. Obviously, it doesn't matter where you start, as long as you do start. Everyone's tastes are different-- cook to yours. Try to create homemade versions of your favorite processed foods so that it's easier to live without them. Try to recreate some of your favorite family recipes. Be ambitious: there are plenty of recipes online for free, and plenty of old cookbooks at secondhand bookstores.
Start by creating your menu for the week: include breakfasts, lunches and dinners. If you plan to eat out for one of those meals, write it down. By accounting for everything up front, you'll have a clear idea of what your diet really looks like. Once it's written, create your shopping list and get started! To make it even more fun, share your recipes by inviting friends or family over to eat with you. Not only will you be forced to stick to your menu plans, but you'll get to share your progress with the people in your life and spend time relaxing and having fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment