Monday, April 9, 2012

Blackberry Cobbler-- with all its ingredients

A couple of weeks ago I went to Virginia to visit my Grammy. It was a much-needed trip to get away from everything, and it was also a great opportunity to see some family that I don't get to see that often. As in, maybe once or twice a year, tops. It was a great time. We relaxed at the lake house, we shopped at Goodwill and found me a pile of new-ish work clothes for less than $40, and we got to experience a rare Virginia tornado outbreak! I don't know how I got so lucky!

We also made cobbler. Before I share the recipe for this cobbler, I need to share a story.

When I was about 7 or 8 years old I was in Virginia with my family and we were staying at Grammy's house. My great-grandmother Nenam lived close by, too, and we spent the day with her in Salem. While we were at Nenam's house, we picked blackberries fresh off the bushes and we made this amazing cobbler. Even as a kid, I loved this cobbler, so I made a mental note of how everything was done so that we could make it at home, too. When we were back at Grammy's house in Roanoke I insisted on making the cobbler the way Nenam made it-- the way I remembered her making it. As you can probable foresee, it didn't turn out too well.

I refused to use the correct kind of flour and the cobbler ended up as more of a gooey fruit mess that was not at all delicious. However, my grandpa Bobby, wanting to spare my feelings, said that it was the best cobbler he'd ever had, and he ate every bite.

Now that I'm older and wiser and only slightly less stubborn, I was willing to follow Grammy's recipe, and we made a wonderful cobbler during my visit. This time, everyone finished theirs and there was no pretending required.

You'll need:

1 stick butter
1 cup self-rising flour (or add 1 ½ tsp baking powder and ¼ tsp salt to your regular flour)
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 can fruit (or 2 small plastic containers)

Melt the butter in a baking dish.
Mix the flour, sugar, and milk in a bowl and then pour the batter over the butter in the dish.
Top with the fruit.
Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes


No comments:

Post a Comment