Wednesday, June 20, 2012

My Big Fat Cuban Sandwich Weekend

This weekend, for the first time in 2 weeks, I'll get to see Eric. He's flying home from Hawaii for just over one day, and I've already planned out what we'll eat, what we'll do, and I've already started counting down the hours. This job in Hawaii has been really tough for us. Adjusting to not only being apart, but managing different schedules in different time zones has been a challenge as well. Though we've been working our hardest to stay positive, I won't lie-- it has sucked.

So when Eric told me to expect him home Saturday night, I started thinking about the weekend right away. Here's what we have lined up:

I teach 3 classes Saturday out North of the city until about 5:00. I'll head home, freshen up, and heat up some homemade Cuban sandwiches (recipe below) for a late-night dinner. Since Eric will be flying from 5:00 in the morning his time (which is 10:00 a.m. here) until about 10:00 p.m. when he lands at O'Hare, he'll be hungry!

Sunday I teach another 3 classes just outside the city, and Eric is going to tag along and hang out in the building while I teach, and we'll get to enjoy breakfast and the drive together, as well as check in outside the room in between classes. Thank goodness for iPads, otherwise I'm pretty sure he would literally lose his pulse from being bored. Then Sunday night I plan to fatten him up with a dinner of honey mustard chicken cutlets, macaroni and cheese, and sauteed squash. I have to make sure he eats right when he's here!

Monday morning will be the hard part-- we'll head back to the airport so he can catch a flight back to Hawaii to start another week of work. But I'll be sending him home with some homemade zucchini bread and chocolate chip muffins, and any other stuff I can fit into his bag.

I can't wait to hang out with my best friend, and I'm so excited to have an excuse to cook and bake some fancy stuff. Because seriously, when he's gone, my dinners deteriorate into combinations like Spaghettios and chips and salsa. This visit will be good for us both!

*****

To make a batch of Cuban sandwiches, you'll need:
Bollios (rolls)
boneless pork chops (A little less messy than slow-cooking the pork, but you can do that, too!)
cuban marinade-- I use Goya's Mojo marinade
ham
provolone cheese
butter
pickles
sliced onion

First, marinate your chops for at least 2 hours in at least 1 1/2 cups of marinade. You want to make sure the pork has enough time to really soak up the flavor! Once you're ready to start cooking, preheat your oven to 350.

Cook your pork chops with the leftover marinade and some sliced onions in a skillet over medium heat. Pull the onions when they just start to soften.

Then, slice the chops into thin slices of pork. Cut the rolls in half and butter both insides. Place the pork, a couple of slices of deli-sliced ham, and a slice of provolone cheese inside.  Cover with some of the onions. Add a couple of pickles and pop into the oven for about 5-7 minutes, just enough time for the cheese to melt.

Pull the sandwiches, mush them flat a little bit, and take a bite-- then enjoy having your life changed forever!

Suggestion: Wash your sandwich down with a Jupina, a pineapple soda. It's THE best combination you could ever find!

No comments:

Post a Comment