Monday, September 10, 2012

Pictures from Hawaii

At the end of July I flew out to Hawaii for the first time ever, and I stayed with Eric for 12 days. It was awesome. Many people told me to go to this island or go to that island, and as I had about $100 to spend over those 12 days, I mostly just nodded and smiled and stayed on Maui, except for a short 10 minute trip I took to Kona on one of Eric's flights.

That's right! I got to fly with my boyfriend in his professional workplace. I've flown with him several times before in little 4-seater planes, but never on an "official" flight, so it was pretty cool. It's always fun to turn to the other passengers and point to Eric and say "That's my boyfriend" and see them be A) jealous and B) suddenly much more interested and impressed with the incredibly scenic and smooth flight.

We did SO many things out there, and I could write up a novel about that trip-- but I'm already in pajamas and I have some Pinning to do, so instead, I shall tell my story in pictures! Enjoy!

First of all, Eric bought me a gorgeous new Anne Klein carry-on that has ::wheels::  Up until this point I've been using an old blue duffel bag I got free with my $50 purchase at Aeropostale 10 years ago. Especially on this trip, with my 6 connections (no, not exaggerating) the wheels were quite valuable.

This is Baby Beach; it's off to the side of Baldwin Beach, and the water is enclosed by a wall of lava rocks, which means the seaweed and killer sea creatures are far less likely to find their way into the area. 
 

Our first full day together in Hawaii; we took this picture at Baldwin Beach. Unfortunately it was cold, windy and cloudy-- but still beautiful!



This is Eric's good friend David. Everyone thinks he is French because of his accent-- he's not. He's actually from Israel. In this picture, David is drinking from a coconut at a small market we stopped at near Kihei. David took me around the island that day since Eric was at work, and it was really nice to not have to be stuck in a house all day in Hawaii!


My man flying as a captain for Pacific Wings! *sigh* I think I fell in love with him again about 12 times during that 45-minute flight...

 This was the gorgeous view above the clouds on that flight to Kona, just as the sun was setting.

This is the view of the shoreline of Maui on the way to Hana. I jumped on a flight with Eric and David and it was absolutely breathtaking. The beaches there are Baby beach and Baldwin.


I GOT IN THE OCEAN (at Big Beach in Kihei). This is a huge deal-- after years of jellyfish stings, Shark Week, and a traumatic Splash Zone experience at Sea World as a child, getting in the ocean was a pasttime I gave up years ago. But I figured, I'm in Hawaii. I can't NOT get in the ocean... It was awesome.
Two. Minutes. After this was taken, I was pummeled by a giant wave, my swimsuit was violently readjusted by the surf, and I proceeded to recommit myself to abstinence from the ocean. But for 5 minutes it was a great time.

 It was pretty sunny on Big Beach-- Eric cares a lot about skin health, so he took precautions.

 Eric had no trouble getting all sandy at Big Beach in Kihei. Sand in the crack? Not a problem for this guy!

 
 We took this picture as we entered the Royal Lahaina Luau...

The luau was fabulous-- the entertainment was just incredible, and sitting here just thinking about the food has made my mouth fill up with saliva. I know, that's gross. But that's how good it was! Add to that the all-you-can-drink Mai Tais and Blue Hawaiians-- people, that is what paradise is supposed to be like.


 
One afternoon we drove out toward Hana and stopped at Twin Falls. We hiked into the farm where the waterfall is located, and waded through frigid tundra runoff  very cold water to get to it. This is Eric directly under the water. I chose not to become hypothermic, and opted to be the picture-taker instead.

 
At the house where Eric was living there was a kitten, Nudles, who was extremely playful-- he even plays fetch! This is photographic proof that Eric (who claims an eternal hatred of cats) actually sat down to play with a cat. In this picture, Nudles is taking a break from fetch to attack Eric's foot.

It was a wonderful trip. I'm always going to remember my trip to Hawaii as an extremely fun, relaxing, romantic 12 day adventure.

Where did you go this summer?



1 comment:

  1. Looks like so much fun!! Next summer you should come with me to Europe!

    ReplyDelete