Wednesday, January 23, 2013

A Real Love Story

Today Eric and I walked downstairs to say our last goodbyes before he walked into the cold and headed back to the airport for another week. It was cold and snowy so I didn't walk him to the train; instead I hugged him, kissed him, answered his "I love you" with my own, and waved to him from the lobby as he wheeled his suitcase behind him, out of sight. I sighed, felt a pang in my heart, and then I did what I do every time he leaves-- tried my best to just keep living my life by myself. I checked my mailbox, and when I asked the girl at the front desk if I had a package, she nodded. As she got it out of the closet for me, she said "You two almost made me cry; it was like I was watching a movie right in front of me!"

Every time Eric goes to work it's hard; and for a split second, her comments made it even more painful to know he was leaving. But only for a split second.

I answered, "He's a pilot, and we do this every week. But it's totally worth it." I smiled and headed back upstairs to my apartment.

Living my life day to day I never forget how much I love my boyfriend. But there are moments when I remember how powerful that love is. In the 2 1/2 years (on February 13) we've been together, I have learned that there is a difference between love and real love. Before I met Eric, I knew what love was. I had experienced love. But Eric has taught me real love. Throughout our relationship we have experienced the kind of days where every second is exciting and full of smiling and laughter, and we've also had those days where things are dark and they're so hard, and it takes every ounce of strength to make the relationship work. I wouldn't trade one single day, whether it was easy or hard.

I only wish I'd met him sooner.






No comments:

Post a Comment