Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Carb Cutback: Week 2

Get excited.

Since cutting carbs in half (which has become almost second-nature in only a week and a half!) I have lost 2 1/2 pounds! I don't anticipate (or want) to lose weight at this rate for much longer-- this is probably just the initial drop-off from making such a big change. Right now my goal is to lose a pound a week. Here are some things I tried this week that have worked wonders:

I allow myself to have a piece of toast with my breakfast (usually 1 scrambled or boiled egg) and I even allow myself to have a love affair with butter. But I no longer add jam (this has been tough). Instead, I add fruit or I save those sugars for later in the day when I know I'll be needing a boost.

I have hearty lunches. Instead of something light at lunch (which induces cravings and unnecessary snacking later) I go ahead and fill up! My lunches of choice have been tuna salad with crackers, hearty potato soup, and of course my leftovers from the previous night's dinner.

When it's time for a snack, or when I feel a craving coming on, I pour myself a glass of iced tea or fruit punch-- something that tastes sugary but is actually sugar-free. Then, only if that drink doesn't cut it, I'll have a snack. I've been a little limited by my budget, so right now my snacks are Nutri-Grain bars or cheese with a couple of crackers, but on my next grocery trip I'll be buying bananas to freeze in bite-size pieces with peanut butter, yogurt, fruit, and lunch meat (sometimes a couple slices of ham or turkey rolled up is enough to get by).

At dinner I've been cutting out breads and pastas almost completely. If I have a few carbs left to "spend" (referring to my goal number of course) then I'll have a piece of garlic toast or I'll put a couple of croutons on my salad. Otherwise, I ignore those things altogether. This past week for dinner I've had roasted fish with lemon, onions, and potato slices; thinly sliced zucchini sauteed with olive oil and garlic and topped with meat sauce; and chicken cutlets topped with brown sugar, paired with broccoli.

Since I'm eating alone most nights it's easy to have leftovers a couple of nights each week, which also keeps me from splurging when I try to think up a new meal.

While tracking my meals and watching myself reach that goal number every day has been awesome, by far the MOST rewarding part of all this has been seeing how FAST my work has paid off. After two days I felt more energized, less "ick" from eating junk, and very proud. After 12 days I feel slimmer (and I look it, too), it's much easier to stay on track, and even after being sleep-deprived for 3 nights in a row, I've been able to maintain my energy.

If you're thinking about making a change or you're in the process and you're struggling, I strongly advise you to take it slow like I did. I didn't completely eliminate carbs, I just cut back. I didn't deprive myself of food, I just replaced heavy calories (junk food) with lighter ones (veggies, fruits, etc.). I still eat the same amount and I even still eat things like chocolate and cereal and occasionally oatmeal. I just make sure I stay within the bounds of my set plan and it has been working like a charm. Right now I'm set to reach my goal weight in April. That's like. Right around the corner.

Like I said, get excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment