Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sew Handy

If you know me well you know that I'm an old woman at heart. I love to be a homebody and knit/crochet/sew to my soon-to-be-arthritic hands' content. I also really love giving the things I make as gifts to others, and I try to make things that I know are useful and actually enjoyed, not just random stuff that will sit in a closet or on a shelf.

Earlier this week I was very excited to replace my very old and broken sewing basket with a newer model that had more storage and organizational options. I no longer have to dig through piles of doo-dads to find what I need. Along with this new basket came a renewed surge of sewing creativity. I managed to measure and place the batting in what will eventually be my OU t-shirt blanket; I finished a small decorative pillow; and now I have made an apron!

I'm really jazzed about this apron.

First of all, it's cute. Like, really really cute. And secondly, it's something practical that I will use a lot. I love cooking and baking, and I hate constantly using the same dirty dish towel or going through paper towels or getting my clothes dirty. This apron will certainly serve its purpose.

However, in making this apron I quickly realized that I had plenty of material and plenty of desire to experiment with different patterns and sizes and varieties. I also have plenty of friends who also share a love for the kitchen and may like an apron to help quell their messy woes.

Coming up soon in the next few days I will be posting how I made my apron, along with pictures of the pieces and the process. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment