Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Some Settling Thoughts

(I must give props to Becky for inspiring this post, otherwise she'll frown at me.)

The other day I had lunch with a professor, mentor, friend, constant source of humbling jokes: Paul.  Paul is the professor who helped Sociology catch my attention; until I took his class, I was headed straight for a Meteorology degree. By the third week, I was ready to change my major. I ended up taking a couple of other classes with Paul throughout my college career, and have gone to him with numerous problems, questions, and ideas having to do with my school career as well as my personal life. He was there when I needed to change my major. He was there when I got divorced. He was there at my graduation party, and he was at lunch with me last week.

I guess you could say he knows me.

A topic came up at lunch that I have been pondering over and over for a while, both before and after we discussed it. It's one of my favorite topics: Where I'm going to live when I "grow up" and settle down.

For most of my life I thought I'd end up back in Dallas. But a lot of things have changed over the last year, including my assumptions about what my life will be like. I have decided that I am hopeful/determined/excited/scared/eager to try to find a job and a home in Colorado.

I won't go into too much detail just yet, but I plan to divulge them all eventually. I do know that I want a giant garden with all sorts of flowers and vegetables. I want a home large enough to have space, but I would HATE an over-the-top monster house. And I want to live in a regular neighborhood, like the one I grew up in, where I'll get to know my neighbors and my kids will get to know their kids.

I have plenty of time for all of this to change again and I'm open to that-- but for right now, I'm going to enjoy dreaming about Rocky mountains and fresh air.

No comments:

Post a Comment