Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Flashy Girl From Flushing

It was the 90s. The voices were nasal, the accents were Yiddish, and the hair was fabulous.

I love “The Nanny”. It is completely over the top and corny, but perfect. As a long-term babysitter and occasional nanny, there are several moments I can relate to. For instance, the hilarious moments with the kids, where it's the worst time in their life, but you know that they'll be thinking that about everything until they're 19; the awkward, and then the rewarding moments with bosses who appreciate you; the feelings of attachment you begin to have toward the people you are responsible for.

I love my job. There are times when I have to roll my eyes right along with the kids (my eye rolling is in response, of course)-- but there are other times when a kid gets sick or has a crappy day and you are suddenly the coolest person when you take their side about how lame that other kid was.

That's right. I take sides. It's awesome.

Being a nanny isn't a lifetime thing for me; but remembering that no matter how old I am, kids need to feel special and they need to be heard is valuable. The most important part-- remembering that no matter how old I am, I'm never to old to laugh at silly jokes with children who still see joy every day.

------------

Of course, wiping runny noses leaves something to be desired...

No comments:

Post a Comment