Friday, August 5, 2011

Changes Are A-comin'

Today is my last day babysitting for the family I've been working with for almost a year. It's the longest I've ever worked for the same family on a day-to-day basis, and it's going to be extremely weird not to be chatting with the kids about superheros and nail polish colors. I'm going to miss them!

The void left by their absence from my everyday routine, however, will be filled very quickly: in the last couple of days I found out who I'm working with at Loyola during my first year as a research assistant. If nothing changes with that (as it may, in the next week or so), I already know which project I'll be working on.

Luckily for me, since the Prof at Loyola knows and works with my two Profs of choice at OU on collaborative research pretty regularly, it actually turns out that I'll get to keep working with my OU Profs! This is great on a few levels:
A) I already know these guys. I know what to expect from them professionally, and we get along well; they've also been known to teach me a few things in life outside the classroom and have been personal mentors on more than one occasion.
B) I'm already familiar with the research project. I've worked on this particular project before and have been familiarized with the premises and questions, as well as the methods and goals. I won't be going in blind.
C) I am finding all of this out earlier than the usual window a grad student gets. I have a few weeks to mentally prepare myself for this project and its demands on my time. I have time to really realize how much of a life I will not be having, come August 30.

I'm leaving Norman in 11 days! It's going to be quite a change!

No comments:

Post a Comment