Sunday, August 7, 2011

From Jeans to Skirt

I took a pair of Eric's old jeans and turned them into a denim skirt! Luckily for me his waist matches the size of my hips, so it fits perfectly. I tried to add details to make it unique, without making it look too busy. If you have a pair of old jeans and you're wanting to try this, it's extremely easy! There are plenty of tutorials online and I strongly encourage you to let your creativity shine!


Not the best picture, but this shows the back of the skirt. You'll see a small slit up the back that keeps the skirt functional for going up and down stairs.  I also added decorative edging on the back pockets with "No-Sew" glue that stays adhesive even after washing. It saved a ton of time, and all I did was stitch the ends to add extra security.


Here is the front of the skirt. I added the decorative edging to the front pockets, as well as around the whole hem. The bow on the left is added to keep the skirt looking feminine, even though it lacks a clingy shape.


The front is my favorite part. The triangular addition in the middle is assembled from layered pieces of denim sewn together before being placed in the middle. You'll notice it alternates between lighter and darker denim. I left the hem raw to contrast with the black edging; I think it keeps it fun and cute while allowing it to be worn in semi-casual settings as well.

I had a blast making this skirt-- what are your favorite creations?

No comments:

Post a Comment