Thursday, September 1, 2011

Birthday Month

For some reason, I really enjoy the obnoxious tradition of mandating celebrating my birthday month. It's especially obnoxious because my birthday is at the end of the month, therefore I can really milk this thing longer, a lot longer than most people find to be "endearing". There is something about letting myself be a little kid every year during this time. I think it has to do with A) enjoying cheesy stuff like this; B) having very little patience for waiting; C) it's really fun.

This year I think birthday month is especially important for a few reasons. After having moved across the country to the Arctic tundra Chicago, not being able to see my family very often, not being able to see Eric very often, and now having to juggle a huge amount of responsibility in graduate school, it seems like the value of birthday month has shot up. Maybe it has to do with escapism-- birthday month is a silly way to toss everything else out of my mind for a few minutes a day. But mostly, I think it has to do with being able to carry on a tradition that I've grown to love, especially when everything else has changed. This is something that I can do no matter where I am or what phase of life I'm in. And yes, when I'm 92 there will still be birthday month, and it'll be a lot more exciting because who knows if I'll make it!

SO! As you hear me talk about it and you roll your eyes at my 9-year old-like ways, just think to yourself, what is more fun? One day where you worry about increasing wrinkles, frown lines, and weight? Or a whole month of embracing youth and a little immaturity to celebrate where you come from?

I'll take the latter every time.


No comments:

Post a Comment