Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Orientation for Hobos

Graduate school orientation was yesterday, and let me tell you, it felt like a new chapter of my life. I mean, not in a cheesy way, but I could tell that I am about to begin something brand new and very different. First of all, people actually paid attention during orientation. That never would have happened in undergrad. Secondly, introductions were a lot easier and a lot more mixed-- there were no visible "cliques" so to speak; rather, we were sort of congregating by program.
I got my Loyola ID made-- it was a strangely important moment. Maybe it's because I'm a scrapbooker and I live off nostalgia, but to me it felt like that picture ID was marking this new beginning. Plus I didn't blink when the picture took, which is always a plus. But there it is, I'm officially a Rambler.

Okay, so a "rambler" is the Loyola mascot. Anyone know what that is? You'll never guess. Apparently the Loyola basketball team never had a home court to play on; they had to travel around to play other teams, but could never host a game. They rambled. However, our mascot is not a basketball player.

Our mascot is a hobo.

That's right, a homeless person. At least, that's what "rambler" means. Of course, the good people at Loyola recognized that an unshaven man with his belongings on his back was probably not the most inspirational symbol for aspiring students, so they chose a wolf from the seal of St. Ignatius instead.

There you go! We are the Ramblers: wolves. Not hobos. Personally, I would rather our symbol be a hobo.

No comments:

Post a Comment