Sunday, October 16, 2011

Mac 'n' Cheese on the Fly

I make really good macaroni and cheese. I'm not bragging or anything, but it's just the truth. I got the recipe from my Grandma Jeanie and then modified it a little to include mashed squash (so I'll feel less guilty wolfing it down). However, that recipe takes a good chunk of time and attention.

Tonight I needed to make delicious macaroni and cheese quick-- on the fly! So here is what I did:

I started by cooking 2 cups of elbow macaroni (dry).
In another small saucepan, I heated 2 tbsp. butter over medium heat. Once it started bubbling, I added a small spoonful of flour and mixed well. Next I poured in about 2/3 cup milk and stirred it all up. I let this heat for a few minutes.
Now I cut 3 1-inch slices of Velveeta, and cut those again into smaller chunks. I mixed them into the milk to melt and had Eric stir this cheesy mixture constantly to prevent sticking. At this point the macaroni was almost done cooking.
The next step was to add about 1 tsp Cajun seasoning and 1 tsp Chili powder. While I drained the pasta, Eric kept stirring constantly so that the cheese would get really thick and the spices would mix well. I put the pasta back in its pot and poured the cheese over it and mixed it all up together.

Voila!! Super-duper macaroni and cheese on the fly!

No comments:

Post a Comment