Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Roam Around The World...


The greatest challenge for travelers is usually figuring out how to pack all of those “essentials”, while also leaving room for any extras you may buy or receive during your trip. Here I have gathered all of my favorite things to make my trips as comfortable as possible, as well as some tips for a smooth travel process.

I always start by writing down a packing list. I write my list out by each day, with a note about what I expect to do that day. For instance, last weekend when I went to Eric's, I went out on a special date with him Saturday night, so I had a little note by my “Saturday” title, and I knew to pack an extra change of clothes and a particular bracelet.

Now it's time to start packing!

Choose your bags! I have a favorite blue duffel I got from Aeropostale 6 or 7 years ago, free with my purchase of jeans that I wish I could still fit into. It's the perfect size; it fits in the overheads on those tiny planes, so I never have to gate-check it, but it's roomy enough to accommodate all my crap stuff. I also recently finished creating a new carry-on bag that will fit under a seat. It's much snazzier than the backpack I had been using, and it's got a ton of space!




Here are the toiletries I pack. I didn't include these, but obviously I also pack a toothbrush, deodorant and a disposable razor that I can toss when the trip is over. If I lose it along the way, it's no big deal!


Here I've included a plastic-lined Vera Bradley toiletries bag (Thanks, Lauren!), along with my Ziploc for my liquids. The products I have lined up are, from left to right: Ulta body wash and lotion; a lipstick case to hold hair pins; Origins “No Puffery” cooling mask which eliminates puffiness around the eyes; a shampoo bottle I swiped from a hotel that I can refill with my own shampoo from home; Tresemme hair spray; toothpaste; and in the little round container I have a dollop of exfoliating face wash. The liquids go into the ziplock and everything else goes in the toiletries bag. A note: I usually keep my ziploc in an easy-to-reach place, like an outer pocket of a suitcase, so I can get to it easily for security.

Here I have my hair stuff. I take one reliable brush (I live without my extra styling combs for the days of the trip) that Eric's mom got me for Easter. It's a Wet Brush, and it's AMAZING. I still struggle with bad tangles in my hair and this brush gets through them in just 2 minutes, with minimal effort. It's incredible, and it works great on dry hair, too. If you are in the market for a new brush, invest in this one. I also have my hair dryer pictured here, though I hardly ever take it with me. It's a mini Conair Hair Dryer. It has two attachments and it's small, but powerful. The travel case makes it easy to keep everything organized.

If you're planning to swim or lounge in a hot tub where you're going, I recommend using a wet bikini bag like this one. My grandmother bought it for me years ago, and it's lined with waterproof material on the inside, so you can stash your suit and launder it when you get home.

Of course, everyone has different packing needs, different destinations mean different stuff. But hopefully this has helped you to get a sense of where to start! Check back for the last segment in this travel series soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment