Saturday, May 5, 2012

Travel Tips


You've tuned in and seen products and packing lists, and now there are just a few other things I recommend for travel:

1. Once you're packed and ready to go, it's time to make sure you have all your bases covered. My first move: I print my boarding pass. Using flight benefits means I have to go standby, so sometimes I might end up on a different flight because of a seat shortage, but having that boarding pass ready is one less thing I have to worry about at the airport, and it means I can get in and out of security that much more quickly.

2. Embrace minimalization. Do you really need to take your straightener or curling iron, or can you find ways to embrace your natural style? Do you have to pack 3 pairs of pants, or can you live with two and plan your outfits accordingly? Reducing your stuff means it's easier to get everything to fit.

3. Take your important information with you. Anytime you leave your home for an extended amount of time, you should always put your important documents in a safe and secure location. Birth certificates, social security cards and any other such documents need to be put away, just in case. It's also a good idea to back up those documents: I scanned each document and saved the images on a flashdrive that I take with me when I travel (in a pocket of my bags which never gets opened, so I don't lose it). This way I have some sort of copy in case there is a fire, flood, or the rapture and my apartment is destroyed, along with everything in it.

4. Start your day early. Most airports have figured out how to run their security checkpoints pretty smoothly, but that does not mean they run quickly. I always give myself at least an hour to get through security, and that's the cut-off. Aim for an hour and a half. If you get through early, that's more time to use the restroom, pick up a drink, or run into a store for whatever you may have forgotten to bring.

5. Bring something to do! When your favorite magazine arrives in the mail a week before your trip, save it to read on the plane. If you're a crossword person, bring a few along. Or grab that book you've been meaning to read to have on the plane with you. Place these items in the bag that's going in the seat with you, rather than overhead. Not only does this make the flight go by more quickly, but it's good for your brain, and it's a good way for you to have some time for yourself.

5. Most importantly: breathe. A lot of people get worked up with the all of the things that go into flying these days. Taking everything step by step and planning each part will help you to remain calm. And if you find yourself listening to the gate agent explain that your flight has been delayed or canceled, don't freak out! Remember, there are literally hundreds of thousands of other people in the same exact situation all across the globe, and somehow you'll all survive. Keeping your calm during these moments will help you and the gate agent (who is a person, too!) think clearly to come up with a real solution to get you where you're going.

Hopefully these tidbits will be useful for your next adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment