Saturday, July 14, 2012

How To Control Life

That's right, folks. I've figured out how to control my own life! Well. Not really. But even better, I've figured out how to create the illusion of controlling my life! It all comes down to bitching about accepting the things you can't change and changing the things you can.

I can't change the fact that Eric is in Hawaii working far away, on a ridiculous schedule, for all but 17 hours each week when he's here with me (IF he makes it home that week).

I can't change the fact that my car is clunky and on its last legs and I can't afford another yet.

I can't change the fact that my life is missing a few pieces I'd hoped would be in place by now.

I can't change the fact that I'm in school in Chicago instead of driving around Norman with the windows down.

But.

I CAN change my hair.

Last night I finally had enough and I decided that if I can't change the big, meaningful things in my life, I sure as hell could change the smaller, less consequential aspects of my person, such as the length of my hair, so I did. I chopped off about 6 1/2 inches into nice, choppy layers. The hair framing my face comes down to just above my collarbone, then it tapers lower from there to about an inch below my shoulder.


I've had longer hair for about 3 years now, so it's nice to make a more drastic change. I feel sporty and trendy and sophisticated, and I'm going to save, like, $0.30 on shampoo!!!

In all seriousness, though, sometimes a small change like this is all it takes for me to feel like things are back in my control, and that's enough to keep me going for another couple of weeks until it's time to re-motivate.

What kinds of things do you do to reinvigorate your life when things are getting rough?

No comments:

Post a Comment